Marshalltown Community School District
Title: Director of Business Operations
Department: Business Operations
Reports To: Superintendent
FLSA Status: Exempt
FT/PT: Full Time
Basic Function: Under the supervision of the Superintendent, the Director of Business Operations is responsible for all district finances including preparing and administering the district’s budget. The Director oversees and maintains all district financial records according to federal and state law, administrative rules, and board policy. This position requires the continuous use of independent judgment. The essential functions as shown below represent only the key areas of responsibility.
1. Coordinate the budget development and fiscal planning activities of the District, including the preparation of all budget documents.
2. Prepares and monitors the line item budget.
3. Prepares annual five year financial projection.
4. Serve as Board Secretary and Treasurer.
5. Direct, supervise, and evaluate all Business Office employees.
6. Provide oversight of the District’s benefit programs, payroll, and risk management.
7. Provide oversight of the departments of Buildings and Grounds, Nutrition Services, and Transportation which includes financial and physical resources, general business practices, as well as supervision and evaluation of department directors.
8. Review, monitor, and evaluate key financial trends of the District on a monthly basis and report any issues of concern directly to the Superintendent.
9. Provide timely financial statements and reports to the Board of Education in a format that is clear and understandable.
10. Guide, direct, and train district administrators in understanding financial information as needed.
11. Assist in communicating clear and understandable financial information to District staff and the community.
12. Direct all financing and cash management requirements of the District, including the sale of bonds, anticipatory warrants, and the investment of reserve funds.
13. Utilize the expertise of the District’s external auditors to monitor and improve internal control processes, maintain compliance with all financial reporting requirements and ensure that audited financial reports accurately present the financial position of the District.
14. Keep abreast of new developments in generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) for governments and schools, and all applicable federal, state and local laws governing financial reporting requirements.
15. Supervise and control the timely preparation and filing of all required financial reports including federal, state and local, and district.
16. Establish, implement, and monitor compliance with accounting policies and guidelines.
17. Support District negotiating teams by providing accurate costing data for collective bargaining proposals.
18. Work closely with the Director of Human Resources to align and enhance strategic business processes.
19. Assumes primary responsibility for evaluating the effectiveness of and making improvements in programs and services in his/her areas of responsibility.
20. Serve as a member of the Superintendent’s cabinet.
21. Prepare and monitor program budgets for the allocation of resources in the areas of responsibility in coordination with the Superintendent.
22. Continuously meets the Six Standards for School Leaders as described by the Iowa Department of Education.
23. Achieve goals as outlined by the District strategic plan in a timely fashion.
24. Attend work on a prompt and regular basis.
25. Maintains satisfactory and harmonious working relationships with the public, students, and other employees.
26. Maintains confidentiality.
27. Assists with other duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance and/or Business including six credit hours of accounting.
2. Possess or ability to qualify for Iowa School Business Official Authorization.
3. At least two years of experience supervising and evaluating direct reports.
4. Experience training administrators and managers on business financial practices.
5. Willingness to work outside of normal business hours.
6. Interpersonal skills that exhibit friendliness, tact, patience and courtesy.
7. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
8. Excellent organizational, multi-tasking, and prioritizing skills.
9. Proficient in use of technology (e.g. Microsoft office products, e-mail, copier/scanner and telephone.)
10. Must be flexible and adaptable to meet the daily requirements of the position.
11. Ability to work independently and in a team environment with accuracy and with attention to detail.
12. Competency working in a culturally diverse environment or the willingness or acquire these skills.
1. MBA or Master’s degree in Accounting and/or Finance.
2. More than two years of experience supervising and evaluating direct reports including management level employees.
3. Previous experience in a similar management level role in a school district business office.
The Marshalltown Community School District does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, sex, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status or socioeconomic status. The district is an affirmative action/equal employment opportunity employer.
Location/Region: Marshalltown, IA (US - 50158)